Saturday, June 27, 2009

Max Thatcher

What I've been Up to Since High School

Well, as most of you know, I left High School my senior year and went out on my own and moved to Montana. Anaconda, MT to be exact. I enrolled at the Job Corps up there because I knew that I wasn't doing so well in regular high school and needed a little bit of a change. I spent about a year and a half up there and if anyone knows anything about Job Corps, you go there to get your GED and also a trade. I majored in Business, and Heavy Equipment/Semi Truck Maintenance. (Yes, the Max Thatcher that roamed the halls of high school in a suit and tie, majored in that. Don't worry, I found it strange as well.) My intuitions were right about doing better up there than in high school. I graduated with a 3.8 GPA.

After graduating Job Corps, I moved back down to the EC and ultimately, moved down to Farmington, New Mexico with Jeffery Behling to pursue my Mortuary career. After doing what I loved for 2 1/2 years, I moved once again back to the EC and thought I could easily find a job up there. Wrongo Bongo. I then one more time moved up to the Salt Lake City area, (as so many of us do) and worked in a Hotel for a while as the Night Auditor, while going to school during the day to get my Commerical Driver's License, strictly as a fall back career, never thinking I would use it.

While working at the hotel, I found "The love of my life" and after about a year of her pushing to get married, Max decided that being married is NOT for him let alone being in a relationship. We then went our seperate ways.

The Hotel got slow, so low and behold, I had to use that little plastic thing in my wallet to feed my belly. After overcoming a brief illness, I have finally settled back down and got back into my groove in this semi truck. I currently work for James H. Clark and Son Trucking out of Murray, UT, and I dont think I have ever been treated so well by an employer in my whole life. We run Refrigerated freight, mainly the 11 westen states, and occasionaly we run out to Georgia and Tennessee and then straight back. While typing this I am currently sitting in Ontario, CA waiting to get unloaded in the morning.



Just a few words before I close: Trucking is not what anyone, including myself, thought that I would be doing with my life, however, the wonderful thing about this beautiful, wide open, limit-less country is, we are free to choose, and make our decisions about how we shape our future. My advice to everyone is, never, never, never give up on your dreams, no matter how far-fetched they may seem. If you have children, or are planning on having children, teach them well, and let them know how wonderful and special they are each and everyday. Let them know that in order to succeed in this life, they must be the best they can be, and to please, please stay in school. It will make their quest in life so much easier.You can take a look at my blog at http://www.truckmax.blogspot.com/ and if anyone would like to get in touch with me, my contact information is on the blog, as well as on Facebook.
Thanks again.

--Max

No comments: