Wednesday, June 24, 2009

LuAnn (Roundy) Powell

What I've Been Up To Since High School

Life is definitely a lot different than it was in the good ol' days living in Emery County.

After high school I went to CEU and lived in Sessions! It was a lot of fun and I made a lot of good friends. Next, I was on to BYU where I earned my bachelors in MFHD. I lived in the University Villa and loved it! When I wasn't studying I was playing with friends up provo canyon, hiking to the Y, hot tubbing or watching movies. After graduating from BYU I promptly went to selling drugs for Wal-Mart for about 2 years. The pharmacy there was fun but wanting to switch things up I moved up to Salt Lake and started working for the U in the Redwood Pharmacy. I loved all the people I got to meet while I worked in the pharmacy (even a few of the crazy druggies!) and it was a great job to have while I worked on my master's degree. After graduating in '02 (high school!) '03 (CEU) '04 (BYU) I decided to slow things down and didn't finish up my master's degree until '08. I got my masters in psychology from USU and then decided I wanted to go to pharmacy school. After about a semester of 6-8 hours a night of homework I decided that sticking to counseling was a great idea!

I got a job as a school counselor in Escalante UT (another EHS - Escalante High School) - which is kind of by Panguitch and Bryce Valley. It was an incredible learning experience being the counselor of 100 kids grades 7-12 in a town of 800 people but I decided that living in the middle of no-where (Emery County is a busting metropolis compared to Escalante...) was not my favorite thing. Luckily I got hired as a counselor through UVU at East High School in Salt Lake. Sticking with EHS - East High School has worked pretty good for me so far. I went from a school with around 15 kids per grade to a high school with 500-600 students per grade. I love working at East because I have a lot of amazing kids.

Another cool change that happened since high school is that I met and married my best friend. My name is now LuAnn Powell and my husband's name is Jonathan. He just graduated from the UofU in film studies. He is an animator and will be applying for internships with Disney, Pixar, Dream Works and other companies this fall. It has been so fun to help him make his animations and see how much work goes into making both computer generated and 2D cartoons. When we aren't working we like to play guitar hero/rock band, watch movies, go swimming and read books together. We just bought our first home in Salt Lake and I love it!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look so pretty!